Holiday Gift Guide On Trend
Sep 23, 2016
Have you ever opened a beautifully wrapped holiday gift only to find a present that leaves you scratching your head?
Whether the gifts you give this year are meant for a distant relative, your closest friend, a prospect, or your best client, don’t be the one who sends something weird. After all; the holidays are the perfect time to show people you care – by giving them something that will WOW! And when you plan ahead, you will be able to personalize your offerings, so the recipient will think of you every time they use your gift. To help, we looked to retail trends so you can formulate an impressive list of brand-able holiday swag.
Top 10 Holiday Gift-Giving Trends
1. Tech. Flexible Bluetooth keyboards, smartphone stands, cord organizers, laptop cases and tablet “skins,” flash drives, “tile” key-locators, automated vacuum cleaners, tech-touch gloves, virtual reality viewers, electronic readers, power chargers, etc.
2. Drones. While we could have classified dynamic-remotely-operated-navigation-equipment under “tech,” we think this gift-giving trend merits its own category, because drones are not just for paparazzi and film crews anymore. This is owed, in part, to the fact that many are surprisingly affordable.
3. Wearables. You can’t go wrong with a T-shirt, sweatshirt or polo shirt. People love things they can wear. Also, don’t forget about wearable tech – fitness watches & trackers, Bluetooth speakers, headphones, etc.
4. Old School. This category signals a return to simpler times, before people used cellphones as MP3 players, video players and alarm clocks. If you opt to go with something nostalgic, the possibilities are virtually endless. Think desk clocks and desk sets or briefcases and pens or casual items like baseball caps, coffee mugs and candy. Or amp up your gift by assembling a “themed” basket, like “Movie Night,” – filled with fun items such as theater tickets, popcorn and bottles of soda, or “Golf Day,” featuring tee time treats, golf balls, course gift certificates and a branded golf towel.
5. Alcohol. These gifts go beyond bottles of wine or cases of scotch. Sophisticated gift-givers in 2016 are turning to a myriad of personalized alcohol-related ideas: bottle openers, wine aerators, bottle caddies, breath alcohol meters, flasks, bar sets, whiskey stones, cork cages, beer-chilling coaster sets, and customized shot glasses…to name a few.
6. Gift Cards. Neiman Marcus was the first company to make gift cards, which they sold in stores starting in 1994. But gift cards didn’t emerge as a “go-to” gift item until Blockbuster replaced their own rampantly counterfeited gift certificates with plastic cards. Once Starbucks entered the game in 2001, the rest – as they say – is history.
7. Executive Gifts. From classic desk sets to stylish totes to personalized styluses, business clients will appreciate your attention to detail. If the recipient is well traveled, consider a keyed laptop lock, an “anywhere” mouse, 3-D puzzles, a custom pen and pencil set, engraved paperweights, luggage tags, or a leather passport case.
8. Food Glorious Food. No matter the era, people love gifts they can eat. Did you know that you can brand items in virtually every category? To go high end, choose caviar tins and crackers with champagne. More low brow? How about jars of pesto or spaghetti sauce and dried pasta along with a bottle of Chianti.
9. Anti-Stress. What most professionals have in common is the propensity to feel stress.
To combat the trend, we recommend gifts designed to lighten the load. Stress balls, personal massagers, scented candles and sachets, tabletop fountains, and plants are just a few ideas for the entrepreneur on your list who has a lot on his or her plate.
10. High Style. Soft leather gloves, sunglasses and watches can melt the hearts of fashion-loving friends. So, to appeal to this crowd, order a fine leather wallet, custom cufflinks, a pocket watch, a leather portfolio or journal, or business card case.
Our choices this holiday season follow retail favorites. Since your clients and employees are already looking that direction, give them something that trends –beer flights, oil & vinegar sets, etched wine bottles, mini drones, or fitness trackers. Old school is also big, with holiday ornaments reemerging as gifts as well as holiday fundraisers.
OnTarget Promotions is a national promotional products agency based in Riverside, California. We help clients use promotional products along with other media to design and secure quality promotional programs that meet their goals and exceed their expectations. Since we believe nothing is a greater reflection of success than a repeat customer, everything we do is designed with our customer in mind. Your focus is our goal. For Holiday gift ideas that fit your style and budget Call (951) 682-8427 or email us to start your holiday project today.